So here is a classic! A silky, yummy tzatziki sauce.
This is a must in a fridge, simply because it goes so well with so much and it’s way healthier than a fatty mayonnaise or salty mustard. I especially love it with my falafels (recipe here). So let’s talk tzatziki!
My version differs from most tzatziki sauce, simply because I put a squeeze of lemon in it and sometimes add some dried cilantro, flat leaf parsley, oregano or dill to it. The spice is totally up to you though… depending on what you intend to eat it with… for example, in this case I was using it for falafels wraps, so I chose dry cilantro because it fits with the fresh mint from the falafels.
Let’s talk about the health benefits of yogurt for a moment… This white, velvety cream does not only contain probiotics, which are good for your bloated stomach or dia…a … but it’s also a great natural exfoliation mask because of it’s lactic acid. Just mix it with a few drops of olive oil and a spoon of honey. Rub it on you face, et voilà! It will exfoliate your face, eliminate those red patches and reduce the small wrinkles.
If you are on a diet, tzatziki is the way to go, it’s filled in flavors and creamy and low in fat if you choose a 0% fat yogurt. The greek yogurt is thicker than normal yogurt and will give your tzatziki a much better consistency.
Let’s make this Tzatziki!
Tzatziki a la Maria-Pia
- 1 small cup of your favorite yogurt (fat or light, greek or not)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 a peeled cucumber
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp dry coriander, dill, parlsey or else
- the famous salt and pepper
- In a morter add the olive oil and garlic and make purée with it
- Blend the cucumber in a blender
- Let the cucumber in a sieve with salt and leave it to drain about 5-10 minutes or if in a hurry push down on it with a spoon to release the juice (keep the juice for some sparkling water and lemon drink with it)
- Add the cucumber pulp and the garlic purée to the yogurt and add a splash of lemon, pepper, salt and the aromatic herb of your choice (or nothing at all).
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour before serving
Trick: If you want to get rid of the fresh garlic smell on your hands, just rub them on a metal surface, like the sink.