Are you one of those people who can never get enough of those spring rolls at the restaurant? Well, I am! And since I never want it to end, I make a do-it-yourself fun and full diner with them. You just need to prepare all the ingredients, add a bowl of water next to the table, a wet towel to roll them and voilà! You are set for a fun spring roll diner.
In Vietnam they’re called summer roll… well, spring or summer, it’s all good to me. We were on a “junk” boat in Halong bay when they taught us how to roll those precious rolls. It’s really easy, the only problem with those rolls is the preparation… cutting everything into thin little sticks takes some time, but once it’s done and everything is on the table, there is nothing nicer to do, than rolling your own just the way you want it, and dipping it in a peanut or a typical Vietnamese sauce. This way you can eat as many as you want, it’s no longer just an appetizer, but rather a convivial meal in itself.
In Vietnam, they told us to never dip your rolls right in the sauces, you should always use a spoon in order to keep the sauces clean, but I just don’t… love to go right in with my whole spring roll. I guess it depends on if your are with guests or not, then it’s more appropriate to serve the sauce with some extra spoons. Also, I highly recommend the fish sauce from Vietnam, they make it with dried fishes only and taste fantastic, while the fish sauce from Thailand is different… they use squid… find the mistake… and result into a whole other flavour.
Let’s get that knife sharp to cut all those nice veggies, and finally fill up those stomachs with those precious spring rolls.
Spring / Summer rolls diner
for 2-3 portions
- 2 big carrots, cut into fine sticks
- 1 cucumber, cut into fine sticks (not the middle part, where all the seeds are)
- 1 small pack of frozen medium sized shrimps
- rice papers
- 150g rice vermicelli
- 1 mango, cut into fine sticks
- bean sprouts *optional
- a few leaves of lettuce
- fresh mint or coriander leaves
- sesame oil
The peanut sauce
- 45 ml Hoisin sauce
- 30g crushed peanuts (or crunchy peanut butter)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
The vietnamese sauce
- 15g sugar
- 30ml rice vinegar
- 15ml fish sauce
- 10g hot pepper in oil sauce
- Defrost the shrimps in a cold water bath
- When ready, add 1 tbs of fish sauce to the shrimps, drain again
- Sauté the shrimps
- Cook the rice vermicelli in hot water for about 2 minutes
- Drain and rinse them in cold water
- Add 1 tbs of sesame oil and mix them a bit
- Cut all the vegetables and make the sauces, add to the table
- Add a bowl of lukewarm water or buy a special one (picture) and leave it near the table to soak the rice papers.
- Just need to soak them completely, no need to wait.
- Lay the paper on a wet towel
- Add the ingredients of your choice in the center of the roll. (not too much)
- Fold the sides on top first, then roll it up gently but still tight.
- Dip it in the sauces and bite!
Enjoy your dinner!