Feeling like a fresh, light, summer meal? Get those rice noodles out and let’s make a simple wok dish. The coconut chicken recipe is really similar to a yellow curry sauce, but this one is for lazy people, you can use weather the yellow curry paste but I simply used the curry powder. That powder is actually a British invention to reproduce the orient flavours. The powder usually contains curcuma, ginger, turmeric, coriander, fenugreek, pepper, cardamom etc. It a mix of at those asian flavours in one pot, some powders are spicier than others, the ingredients tends to change depending of the company. I use this curry powder on popcorn, with butter, it’s delicious!
Coconut meat constipate while the coconut water is a natural laxative, how perfect is that? A perfect balance within a single coconut. In the recipe, coconut milk is used, but it could be switched to coconut cream, to make it fatter,tastier and smoother.
Oh! and if you like what you see, don’t be shy to follow me on Yummly, or other nice food sharing networks to see my future recipes and more.
Coconut chicken noodles
Makes 2 portions
- 250g rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2tbs curry powder
- 2 chicken breast in small cubes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 3 kaffir (makrut) limes leaves *optional
- 3tbs fish sauce, or salt
- 2tbs coconut oil, or peanut, vegetable oil.
- 1tbs sesame oil
- 1 peeled carrot
- black sesame seeds
- basil or coriander leaves
- Cut your chicken into little cubes and add 1 tbs of fish sauce to marinate a few minutes
- Add a pot of water to boil for the noodles
- Cook the glass noodles, only 2 minutes, keep the hot water to regenerate the noodles later
- Take out the noodles, drain, and rinse in cold water (gives them that nice texture)
- Add the sesame oil to the noodles, mix a bit and reserve
- Cut all the vegetables, peel a full carrot
- In a hot wok, or a big sauté pan, add the coconut oil
- Add the chicken and sauté it until light brown
- Add the pepper, onion, curry powder, kaffir lime leaves and coconut milk, reduce for a few minutes (about 3 minutes to high heat)
- When the sauce consistency is thick, add the fish sauce so salt up your dish, if no fish sauce use simply salt or soy sauce
- In the hot water pot from the precooked noodles, add the noodle a few second again to warm them up
- Serve the chicken, sauce on top of the noodles, add the peeled carrot slices, black sesame seeds and basil on top.
Serve with a piece of lime on the side and chopsticks. Enjoy!