Cauliflower gratin, it’s a smooth dish! and not unhealthy at all. See… I know the word “gratin” make you think “heavy” but the truth is: Bechamel sauce is mostly milk. There is a spoon of butter, not much cheese and some flour but it’s nothing… compared to the famous calories bomb sauce Hollandaise… The word gratin mean “grilled cheese on the surface” but if you are thinking about you health, just cut the amount of it. Also, cauliflower contains practically no calories so we need a little substance somewhere.
With this recipe you’ll get the full flavor of that white veggie, because the sauce is so delicate. I didn’t add much cheese, only a little bit of old cheddar on top to salt things up. Also a little nutmeg in the bechamel and thyme, pepper as a topping decoration. Sometimes simplicity has way better taste!
Makes 2 main meals, or 4 side dishes
- 1 Cauliflower cut into florets
- 800ml of milk
- 100g butter
- 100g flour
- grated old cheddar or your favorite cheese (the amount you want on top, can even add nothing at all it will still get brown)
- salt, pepper
Bring the oven to broil at the highest temperature
- Start by cooking the florets of cauliflower into salty water for 4-5 minutes
- Make a bechamel by melting the butter in a sauce pan
- Add the flour, medium-high heat, mix for a few seconds until it smells nutty
- Add the cold milk and whisk
- While it cooks add the good amount of nutmeg, pepper, salt
- Add the cauliflower into oven proof plates, add the bechamel over it
- Add the amount of cheese desired on top of the dish or at the end of coccion from the bechamel
- Broil until light brown (few minutes only, stay close by)
Enjoy with a sprinkle of fresh thyme!