Everyone love a good Caprese salad (tomatoes, fresh basil, mozzarella with olive oil), so why not change it a bit and make it a pasta salad, and since it’s spring why not add a few green asparagus to celebrate that! This is such a simple idea, and takes no time to make. It’s a “feeling lazy today” kind of meal… Just need to cook the pasta of your choice (healthier versions too like quinoa pasta or kamut) a bunch of cherry tomatoes and those precious and fresh mozzarella balls, or the big balls of mozzarella do too, cut into small cubes. Although simple it’s so good and fresh. You’ll see you might end up doing it every other week this summer.
This is a dish with delicate flavours, which means… we can taste that great extra-virgin olive oil we always keep for big occasions. By the way, olive oil doesn’t last indefinitely, in just one year it loses a lot of it’s flavour… so good thing we have those dishes to highlight that good extra-virgin olive oil before it’s too late. So here is that easy and tasty Caprese pasta salad recipe.
Caprese Pasta Salad
Makes 4 portions
- 500g of pasta of your choice
- 150g fresh mozzarella
- 250g green asparagus
- 350g cherry tomatoes
- 2 good hands of fresh basil leaves
- as much as you’d like Extra-virgin olive oil (minimum 30ml)
- salt, pepper
- Add a big pot of salty water to boil
- Cut your asparagus into 3 parts, once the bottom part gone
- Add the asparagus to the boiling water for 2 minutes, (keep them crunchy) then drain and rinse into cold water (keep the color vibrant and the texture firmer)
- Add the pasta to the boiling water, cook them as you like
- Cut the tomatoes, basil, mozzarella
- Drain the pasta, add to a big bowl with the rest of the ingredients and that good olive oil. Mix
- Salt it good and voilà!
Enjoy! In summer time… since it’s a cold meal. Also it makes great leftovers for the next day lunch.