You’ll say this looks exactly like the simple cup of strawberries topped with whipped cream… boring… but you are far from the truth! This is a coconut milk infused with kaffir lime mousse. As soon as you’ll taste it, you’ll wish for the rest of your life, to have this mousse instead of that whipped cream. I ate it, at first, in one of my favorite restaurant, as a side cream to a “Chocolate fondant” dessert… So delicious! Another plus is: whipped cream is fat while this is made with coconut milk which is way lighter.
I’ve used a siphon to foam it, obviously you can do it without, but then it’s simply gonna be a liquid, which taste as good though… Siphon is the last “kitchen gadget” I got myself… especially to reproduce this coco-lime mousse and I don’t regret it at all. You can do millions of recipes with it, cold to warm, from mousse to soups and it won’t break your budget since it’s pretty cheap online and doesn’t take a lot of space, since it’s a simple bottle.
The only “ick” is the time it takes to cool it, so you have to make it in advance like 6 hours is a secure number, because after 4 hours, my mousse wasn’t coming out foamy. It’s especially long if you have to warm up the liquid before… if not then you won’t need to wait that long.
So let’s get to that revelation mousse!
Strawberries with coco-lime mousse
- Siphon *optional
- 500ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar, or white sugar
- 7 kaffir lime leaves, break leaves once (see the asian market, they sell it frozen)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 gelatine leaf
- 1 pinch of salt
- Soak the gelatine leaf into cold water
- Add the coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, sugar and salt to simmer for 6-7 minutes
- When the cooking is over, add the gelatine leaf and mix
- Take the leaves out
- Add the liquid to a siphon
- Let cool in the fridge, open bottled until cool (minimum 1 hour)
- Close it up, fill with N2O, lay in the fridge for minimum 6 hours
- Cut the strawberries, add mousse et voilà!
Enjoy on a sunny day!