Mango Chicken tandoori skewers is such a healthy and warm dish. Tandoori chicken by definition is suppose to be cooked into a Tandoor (clay) oven… but who owns one of those in the western world?? So I simply use the Paste (marinade) called Tandoori, which you can find in markets around the world. The sauce is red, delicious and spicy… yet not “hot” spiced. I love to eat my Tandoori chicken with a side sauce of yogurt, cilantro and lime and a few pieces of pepper and mango. This fruity touch could be substituted by pineapple. The balance in this dish is perfect, spicy, creamy smooth and fruity! Top combinaison and extra healthy. Obviously, since I am on the “eternal diet” I used a low fat greek yogurt for the sauce and the marinade of the chicken.
Tandoori chicken needs to marinade into a mix of plain yogurt and tandoori paste for a few hours, usual a good 12-24 hours. This paste contain all those special indian spices and the famous red color of the dish, which, by the way, on my pictures are not as red as it usually is. I’ve used a new type of tandoori marinade and the color wasn’t as red as I would I’ve liked. The taste was all there though… So once the chicken is finally marinated you can simply cook the skewers in the oven, which I did, or you can imitate the actual Tandoor oven by cooking it on charcoal BBQ.
So let’s cook some indian dish tonight!
Mango Chicken Tandoori Skewers
Makes 2-3 portions
- 2 chicken breast cut into long thick strips
- 150g tandoori paste
- 150g of plain yogurt (1 small yogurt)
- mangos or pineapple in cubes
- red bell pepper in cubes
- 1 small plain yogurt cup
- 2 hands of fresh coriander leaves
- 1 lime
- salt, pepper
Bring oven to 180°C (350F)
- Add the Tandoori paste, plain yogurt to the chicken pieces and marinate for 12-24 hours
- Make the yogurt sauce by blending the coriander and mixing the yogurt, lime and salt, pepper. Reserve
- When the chicken is marinated, pass the wood skewers under water to prevent them from burning
- Cut the mango and pepper and assemble the skewers with the Tandoori chicken
- Cook the chicken skewers for 25 minutes at 180°C (350F)
Serve with nice long grain rice and the yogurt sauce. Enjoy!