Summer is here and we yummy new recipes for BBQ season! Who doesn’t like a good hot dog? This version of hot dog is somehow, a little healthier than the usual one. Let me explain here… since the worst part of a traditional hot dog is in the actual Ketchup that tops it, which is filled with sugar, pure candy… I’ve exchange it for a honey mustard. The choice of the sausage and bread is up to you, I’ve chose an organic and larger sausage and a black olive soft baguette. Baguettes are great for hot dog! I always use baguette since there isn’t much healthy choices in hot dog bread varieties where I live…At the bottom of the Hot Dog, I’ve added a bed of those tasty onion sprouts. To finish it of mexican style, if you want to, you can add a few dices of tomatoes in there, then it would become a guacamole hotdog! Delicious idea!
So the main idea here is to show a different way to eat those “typically unhealthy” food and give it a healthier twist. I’ve encountered this recipe a few years ago, in El Salvador, the lady from the hostel, where I was staying at, was simply adding avocado to our hot dogs and I couldn’t believe how great it was, nothing else than a simple avocado makes a huge difference. Let’s just say, hot dog are the heart worst enemy, but this hot dog is an enemy you want to keep close by.
So let’s get sinful!
Avocado Hot Dog
Makes 3 portions
- 1 black olive soft baguette
- 3 large sausages (your favorite)
- 1 tsp honey mustard (or mix up 1 tsp of honey into 1 tbsp of mustard with grains “a l’ancienne”, or a dijon)
- 1 avocado finely sliced
- 1 small pack of baby onion sprouts
- Simply add the sausage in a pan, low heat, for about 4-5 minutes until cooked through
- Assemble the hot dog with the onion sprouts, avocado, sausage and mustard
Serve with diced tomatoes to replace the ketchup. Enjoy!