This isn’t an asian meal, no curry involved here… There is some typical asian elements, like lemongrass and coconut milk but no ginger or strong curry. This way we’ll get to taste fully the coconut flavor which is often taken over by other stronger taste. The dish simple needs 1 stalk of lemongrass and coconut as flavouring, that’s it! Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE curries off all kinds, it’s just when I feel like tasting the full coconut, well I simply do this recipe instead. I’ve used asian egg noodles for this dish but it could easily be a nice rice noodle or quinoa pasta, etc. The chicken can be changed to shrimps too. It’s all up to how your tastebuds are feeling.
I’ve added a bunch of cracked pistachios on top, it gives the meal a great twist, but if you prefer other kind of nuts, like peanuts or almonds they fit good in there too. It’s a fairly fast and easy meal to make, a beloved “under 20 minutes meal” , plus the little ones will love it.
I like to accommodate everyone at the table, a central plate with a few extras like an extra pistachios, cilantro, hot thai pepper, lime is a great way to make everyone happy at the table. I, personally, love a whole lot of fresh cilantro in this meal but some people just dislike this herb, so this way everyone will be happy. Especially new guests which you don’t always know their personal likes and dislikes.
Also, I’ve used a homemade salt I did last week, a lemongrass, lime zest salt. I’ve simply dehydrated the inner part of the lemongrass and a few lime zest, then blended the dehydrated ingredients and add some sea salt. So simple and tasty. But obviously you can use simple salt, or fish sauce to salt up this meal.
So let’s get that smooth coconut flavour going!
Coco-Lemongrass chicken noodles
Makes 3-4 portions
- 2 chicken breast
- 400g asian egg noodles or rice noodles
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil (or neutral oil)
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, take off the first layer and break it in 2 places
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1 hand of pistachios, cracked
- 1 hand of coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 2 mini bok choy, finely cut
- 2 limes
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, cracked *optional
- salt, pepper (lemongrass, zest salt if you are adventurous)
- Extras: hot thai pepper, limes, coriander leaves and pistachios
- Start by cutting your chicken into small cubes, season it with salt and pepper
- Cut the pepper, peel the carrot completely and wash and cut into 1 cm large pieces the bok choy
- Bring a wok to high heat, add the coconut oil, the chicken, lemongrass and sauté (move with a wood spatula) until light brown
- Add the Kaffir lime leaves and lower the wok to low heat
- Add the coconut milk, let simmer 4 minutes
- Cook the noodles during that time
- Cut all the extras and toppings
- When the noodles are almost al dente, take them out, add them to the wok with the vegetables (pepper, bok choy, carrots)
- Check the seasoning (add salt, pepper)
- Let it all warm up for 2 minutes
- Mix well
- Serve into plate and top each plate with the cracked pistachios, coriander leaves (cilantro), and a squeeze of lime
Serve with a few extras; hot thai pepper, coriander (cilantro), pistachios, lime. Enjoy!