Cured ham and sage chicken rolls with mediterranean veggies like zucchinis, yellow pepper, tomatoes, onion, garlic, rosemary and thyme casserole is a light, packed with flavor, easy meal. I know… it’s a long… long… title for such a simple dish. A beloved “under 30 minutes meal” recipe, and filled with mediterranean flavors, who can resist that?
The cured ham enveloping the chicken breast is my version of a Canadian recipe called in french: tournedos de poulet. Which consist of a chicken breast enrolled circularly (supreme) with bacon and holds with the help of a string, so it stays round during coccion. Since living abroad in Spain, I have to reproduce those recipes the best I can, so… for this particular recipe makeover, I’ve took a leaner than bacon meat; cured ham. Then add a little sage leaves in between the slices of ham and the chicken to give it a extra mediterranean flair. I’ve topped it with little pepper and voila!
As for the Mediterranean vegetables casserole, it goes well with this chicken recipe, because they take the same amount of time to cook in the oven. Simply cut thick slices with the mandoline, zucchinis, a few tomatoes, onion, yellow pepper, garlic, thyme and rosemary, add a touch of olive oil, salt and pepper. Terribly simple and delicious!
For the big eaters, I could recommend a couscous to accompany it, adding some of the bottom vegetable juice to it, to give it flavor.
So let’s make this simple, fast, mediterranean flavored dish!
Cured ham chicken rolls with mediterranean veggies
Makes 2 portions
- 2 chicken breast
- 4 serrano ham slices (or your favorite cured ham)
- 8 sage leaves
- salt and pepper
The mediterranean vegetables casserole
- 1 zucchini thinly slices (5mm cut with the mandoline)
- 1 tomato in slices
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper in slices
- 1/2 onion in slices
- 2 garlic cloves
- rosemary to taste
- thyme to taste
- 2 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
*Bring the oven to 180°C (350F)
- Add the 2 slices of cured ham on a cutting board, add the sage in line, in the middle and add the chicken breast on top, salt and pepper and envelope them with the cured ham (you can use some strings to hold it together)
- Add to a small oven proof plate and reserve
- With a mandoline or knife cut the zucchinis, tomatoes, pepper and onion into 5mm slices and add to a bowl
- Chop finely the garlic, thyme and rosemary and add to the veggies
- Add the olive oil, salt and pepper and mix good (no better instrument then you hands for this)
- Add to an oven proof recipient and cook both plates at the same time for 25 minutes at 180°C (350F)
- Serve the chicken as it is or you can always cut it into thick slices
Serve with couscous or as it is. Enjoy this mediterranean dish!