Hibiscus-pineapple Sangria is a ruby red, bubbly and exotic tasting Sangria, perfect for those hot summer days. The flavor of hibiscus tea, for the ones that don’t know it yet, resembles cranberries juice, there is a certain bitterness to it. So usually you add some kind of sweetener to it and it turns it into a delicious juice. Hibiscus is the new “recommended infusion to lose weight, it also reduce high blood pressure, digestion problems, cholesterol, inflammatory problems and help out with the liver function.
Sangria is not a “one way only” dark red punch, it’s more of a method. There are as many sangria types as wine types or fruits… Sure we are used to see a dark red sangria with lemon wedges in it but there is no such thing as a one and only sangria. The sangria blanco, for example, is made with white wine and whatever fruit you feel like, with or without a touch of Brandy. The important element in sangria is to let the fruits you choose macerate into a liquid for 24 hours, also the wine is a basic element to sangria and the rest are extras (brandy, sugar, juice, soda, etc.)
I’ve done a similar sangria at the beginning of summer; mango-hibiscus Sangria. This new version has way more fruits in it and I’ve used a pink sparkling wine and pineapple juice. The pineapple in it brings you somewhere tropical, perfect for a pool party, a BBQ or any outdoor events. The sparkling wine makes it a touch more special and festive. I suggest you make a big batch of it, it will disappear quite fast… you’ll see.
Tropical Sangria with hibiscus and pineapple
- 500ml of hibiscus tea (infuse it 5 minute)
- 1 bottle of sparkling rose wine (or white) (cava)
- 1/4 of a pineapple cut into small cubes
- 1 lime
- 3 tbsp of sugar (or 150ml of pineapple juice)
- 2 shots of Brandy
- ice cubes
- Makes the hibiscus tea (add 3 tbsp of the flower leaves and let infuse in hot water for 5 minutes)
- Add the sugar and cool the tea at room temperature
- Add the cubes of pineapple and lime and let refrigerate overnight to 24 hours
- When ready to serve, add the brandy, ice cubes and the cold cava (sparkling wine)
- Turn gently and serve
Enjoy those hot summer days!