A twist on the classic Club sandwich, the famous deli favorite from north America. The traditional Club Sandwich it made of 3 levels of toasted white bread, chicken slices, bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise. This version is made by replacing the bacon with a leaner cured ham slightly cook, just enough to make it crispy. The slices of chicken are replaced by a creamy chicken salad mix which is blended with a touch of mayonnaise, sweet mustard and pickle juice (brine) until smooth and an extra layer of the beloved avocado for a touch of color. The bread is an whole grain square bread, toasted and served with the usual crunchy lettuce and juicy tomato, nothing new there…
This way the Club Sandwich gets a creamier and tastier chicken and smooth avocado contrasted with a crunchy cured ham and lettuce. This sandwich is a nice ensemble of textures, color and taste, hard not to fall for it.
So let’s make this creamy yet crunchy sandwich for lunch!
Avocado Club Sandwich
Makes about 3-4 sandwich
- square whole grain bread
- crunchy lettuce of your choice
- tomato slices
- cured ham slices
The chicken salad
- chicken leftovers or 2 chicken breast precooked
- 1 big pickle
- 5 tbsp of pickle brine
- 2 tbsp of mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp of sweet mustard (honey or else)
- salt and pepper
- In the blender, add all the pre cooked chicken salad ingredients and blend until smooth, add more pickle juice if too dry
- In a pan add the cured ham slices (prosciutto, serrano, etc.) to a non stick pan and let it cook until crunchy, about 2 minutes
- Toast the whole grain bread
- Assemble the sandwich with 3 layers of toasted bread, avocado slices, tomato slices, cured ham, chicken salad mix and the crunchy salad
Cut into triangles like a typical Club Sandwich. Enjoy!