Peanut-coco Vegetarian Wok is a well known recipe, also so simple and fast to make, a great made under 20 minutes dish. It’s one of those few really fulfilling vegetarian dish, plus it’s filled with healthy veggies. The kids won’t feel they are eating a bunch of vegetables, since the creamy peanut-coco sauce will distract them from it. I, personally, have done this dish many time with chicken, but I’m trying to cut on the meat for the sake of my planet, and done my recipe with a curry-mango flavored tofu instead. To my own surprise, the tofu, which I’m still learning to love, gave the dish a new dimension, a better one even than the boring chicken pieces. I’ve bought a pre marinaded tofu piece, which turned out to be a big success for my relation with tofu and gave this dish a whole new fruity and healthy dimension.
Carbon steel Woks
I love my wok, it’s a bit of a pain to clean and keep in good shape but it’s one of those top 10 things to have in the kitchen. Especially if you are a busy person, the wok is always a fast and effective way to cook. I’ve bought myself a 14 inch carbon steel wok 2 years ago, and I just swear by it, it’s a fantastic discovery especially if you cook on flames. It cost practically nothing and with time it becomes more and more precious, the flavors that sticks to it and it gets magically non stick by itself. It’s not the prettiest but damn it does the job to perfection. An important point is that it needs to be seasoned before use and also the maintenance; taking care of never soaping it, leaving it in water, cooking with mainly acidic liquids in it, etc. it’s all a bit of a pain to learn … but once you do and learn to dry it to perfection and give it a oil bath once in awhile, it will become a “happy” essential to your kitchen. Okay… sorry, I felt like talking about my love for carbon steel woks… If you ever want to get yourself one, check this link from kitchn.com on how to choose, season and maintain your wok.
So…let’s work that wok!
Peanut-coco Vegetarian Wok with mango tofu
Makes 2-3 portions | Difficulty: too easy | Preparation: 15 minutes
- 200g of curry-mango marinated tofu (basil or plain) cut into big chunks
- 200ml of coconut milk
- 2 tbsp of peanut butter
- 1 broccoli into florets
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- 2 carrots cut in julienne (sticks)
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce or fish sauce
- 2 tbsp of peanut oil
- 1 tsp of hot chilli in oil
- a few crunched peanuts for topping
- Cut all the veggies
- Heat up the wok to the max
- Add the peanut oil
- Add the garlic, onion, broccoli and carrots and sauté (high heat) them until carrots and broccoli are softer but still crispy (about 3 minutes)
- Add the coconut milk, peanut butter, chilli in oil and bell pepper and mix well to make the sauce homogeneous
- Cook until the veggies are to your taste (about 2 minutes)
- Take off the heat, add the soy sauce or fish sauce and the tofu
- Serve with a few crushed peanuts on top and a lime wedge
Serve with asian noodles, rice or nothing at all. Enjoy!