These Retro Christmas Egg Sandwich Rolls sliders are great on the table for Christmas and always a ‘hit’ for the little ones and grown ups! An egg spread made with relish, scallions and mayonnaise and the festive sweet pickle and pepper in the center.
Those Christmas Egg Sandwich Rolls are specially made for Christmas and highly appreciated by the little ones. A fluffy, tasty and fun bite to make the kids wait patiently before unwrapping their gifts.
A family tradition
These sliders are close to my heart, I used to make them every year with my grandma. Now, I’m the one doing it for my kids, and someday, hopefully, grandkids. Since I can remember those sandwiches were part of the Christmas feast (buffet style) at home.
Every year, on the morning of the 24th of December, I would make those egg sandwich rolls, eat a few at night with all the great food on the buffet table of my mom. These sandwiches are at it’s best the next day for breakfast! Oh my! The leftovers for breakfast are divine!
Kid friendly recipe
Let’s face it, egg sandwiches are an all times big favorite for the kids. Plus, these are extra fun to make with the kiddos. The rolling part is the fun part! Back in the days, this type of long bread was pink, but nowadays it’s back to white.
You’ll need some clean moist towel for rolling the sandwiches, install it underneath the bread and once filled with the eff spread and center pieces, use the side of the towel to roll gently the sandwich. Once the roll is done, transfer it right away to a plastic wrap and roll it in it gently but tightly. Twist the plastic ends until tight and leave in the fridge for a few hours, or until it’s time to rumble.
To finish it up, you’ll need a sharp thin knife to cut the sandwiches without making a mess. Unwrap the sandwiches, cut the ends first and then cut about a thumb thick each sandwiches. Here are a few steps in pictures.
Other ideas for a holidays slider fest that would go well with these sandwiches:
- EASY SHRIMP CEVICHE
- PESTO AND PARMESAN PHYLLO STICKS
- ENOKI BEEF ROLLS APPETIZERS
- DUCK PROSCIUTTO APPETIZER
So let’s roll up those sandwiches!
Christmas Egg Sandwich Rolls
- 6 extra long bread
- 15 eggs
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp curry powder (optional)
- 20 g butter (room temperature to spread the bread)
- salt and pepper
The green mix
- 1 spring onion (4 scallions)
- 1 tbsp relish (or 3 sweet pickles)
- 1 tbsp parsley (optional)
- 1 can sweet pickles
- 1 red bell pepper
- sweet paprika (optional)
- Start by cooking the eggs in simmering water for 10-12 minutes.
- Blend the onion, relish (or sweet pickles), parsley together until finely chopped.
- Discard all the egg shells.
- In a big bowl or deep plate, add the eggs, blended green mix, curry powder and mayonnaise. Mash until creamy (I’ve started with a potato peeler and finished with a fork).
- Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- On a clean, moist towel add the bread.
- Spread the room temperature butter on the bread.
- Add a layer of the egg spread all over the sandwich bread (2mm thick).
- At one end, add one slice of bell pepper and 2 sweet pickles on the border of the bread.
- With the help from the moist towel roll up firmly but gently the sandwich into a big cylinder.
- Wrap firmly each rolls into a plastic wrap and reserve in the fridge for a minimum of one hour.
- When ready to serve, take off the plastic wrap, sprinkle a little sweet paprika on the top of the rolls, cut the ends of the rolls first and cut each rolls into 5 pieces.