Those Oyster Sauce Bok Choy (chinese mini leafy cabbage) with a peanut bite to it is a great side dish to asian meal or just by itself with some rice. Healthy, simple and tasty!
This is such an easy side dish or appetizer to make, nothing easier and it’s simply a nice fresh bite into a bunch of vitamins. We all have those moments we need to refill our energy level with some nice crunchy veggies, this dish will do just that. It’s a quite typical Chinese/Cantonese side dish. Some blanched the bok choy, others… like me steam them in the wok. I think it retains better the vegetable’s flavor. Some places call the vegetable by its Cantonese name which is bok choy (more precisely; baak choi), others call them Pak Choi, Pak Choy or Buk Choi which means “white vegetable”.
Preparation of Bok Choy
Before cooking them, start by soak them with a touch of vinegar a few minutes just to make sure there are no bugs living at the bottom. Those small Chinese cabbage are loaded with vitamins and nutritive benefits. Another important element for this dish is not to over cook the Bok choy. They need to be still crunchy and bright green, since overcooking them would turn them brownish and saggy. It also prevent them from losing all their nutrients and vitamins.
The recipe given isn’t with definite quantities, it’s up to you the quantities of Bok choy and oyster sauce. The ingredients “with quantities” stays fairly the same whether it’s 10 mini Bok choy or 20.
So let’s make this simple dish!
Mini Bok Choy with Oyster Sauce
Preparation: 10 minutes | Difficulty: easy
- Mini Bok Choy
- Oyster Sauce
- 2 tbsp of vinegar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tbsp peanut oil or neutral oil
- Crushed peanuts
- salt and pepper
- Cut the end of the stems from the bok choy (just enough to get rid of the brown part)
- Soak the Bok Choy for 5 minute, add the vinegar to the water, drain
- Warm up the wok or big pan to high heat, add the oil
- Add the minced garlic, the bok choy, salt, pepper, 2 tbsp of water and cover
- Let it steam for 2-3 minutes, shake it once in a while
- When done, turn off the fire, add as much of oyster sauce you’ld like
- Topped with crushed peanuts