sBaked Sweet Potato Fries with a Wasabi-Pea Dip is a healthy and dynamic duo of colors and flavors. The sweetness of the fries balance to perfection the spicy green wasabi-pea dip.
A truly odd combination for some but once you get your head around it and jump in and try it out… you’ll never go back to normal fries with ketchup. Sweet potato and wasabi is a match made in heaven, a bit like in the movie Ratatouille when the rat mix up the mushroom and the cheese and it become exponentially delicious, well it’s also the case for this combination. At first I was hesitant about the mix too, and I could not have been more wrong. On my first bite I’ve started to be obsess with it! I’m a “savoury person” and sweet potatoes never really appealed to me until I discovered this wasabi trick. Plus, I’m not even a big fan of wasabi, but with those fries… it’s a whole new story!
The combination come from a friend of my husband which learned it from an Australian Chef he met while travelling. The guys is not particularly into food but he was high on showing us this “one” discovery he did. I remember thinking; not wasabi… and it turned out surprisingly into one of the best combination I’ve had in years. Today I’m thankful he show us this match of ingredients, just like you will toward me soon.
For the green dip, I’ve used the idea of the traditional British fish and chips dip and used green peas, they help balance the spicy wasabi and give this nice green color to the dip. Let’s just point it out, the whole dish is an ultra healthy variation on french fries because;
- well no fatty mayo or sweet ketchup in the dip, solely yogurt, peas, lime and wasabi and it taste fantastic
- the use of sweet potatoes which is slightly better than white ones because they contain lots of vitamin A, are higher in fibres and has a lower glycemic index
- They are baked not fried so way less oil
So let’s get the magic going!
Sweet Potato Fries with a Wasabi-Pea Dip
Makes 3-4 portions | Preparation + cooking time: 40 minutes | Difficulty: easy
- 2 long sweet potato
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt, pepper, spicy paprika
The wasabi-pea dip
- 125g (1 small cup) natural greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp of frozen green peas
- 3cm long of wasabi paste
- the juice of 1/4 of a lime or lemon
- Peel, then cut into long sticks the sweet potatoes
- Add to a bowl with the rest of the ingredient and mix well
- Add to baking paper covered baking sheet and cook at 200°C (400F) for 35-40 minutes until turning light brown, turn mid way
- During that time make the wasabi-pea dip; add the peas to a small pot of salty boiling water for 1 minutes then drain and rinse under cold water
- Add the peas and the rest of the ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth
- Let the fries cool 1 minutes before serving