Baked or Air fryed Sweet Potato Fries with Wasabi-Pea Dip is a healthy and dynamic duo of colors and flavors. The sweetness of the fries balance to perfection the spicy green wasabi-pea dip.
A truly odd combination this Sweet Potato Fries with Wasabi-Pea Dip recipe for some but once you get your head around it and jump in and try it out… you’ll never go back to normal fries with ketchup. Sweet potato and wasabi is a match made in heaven, a bit like in the movie Ratatouille when the rat mix up the mushroom and the cheese and it become exponentially delicious, well it’s also the case for this combination. At first, I was hesitant about the mix too, and I could not have been more wrong. On my first bite I’ve started to be obsess with it! I’m a “savoury person” and sweet potatoes never really appealed to me until I discovered this wasabi trick. Plus, I’m not even a big fan of wasabi, but with those fries… it’s a whole new story!
Inspiration from Australia
The combination come from a friend of my husband which learned it from an Australian Chef he met while travelling. The guys is not particularly into food but he was high on showing us this “one” discovery. I remember thinking; not wasabi… and it turned out surprisingly into one of the best combination I’ve had in years. Today, I’m thankful he showed us this Sweet Potato Fries with Wasabi-Pea Dip recipe, just like you will toward me soon.
For the green dip, I’ve used the idea of the traditional British fish and chips dip and used sweet green peas, they help balance the spicy wasabi and give this nice green color to the dip. Let’s just point it out, the whole dish is an healthy version of french fries because;
- no fatty mayo or sweet ketchup in the dip. Just yogurt, peas, lime and wasabi
- the use of sweet potatoes which is slightly better than white ones because they contain lots of vitamin A, are higher in fibres and has a lower glycemic index
- They are baked or air fried not fried so way less oil.
So let’s get the magic going!
Sweet Potato Fries with Wasabi-Pea Dip
- 2 sweet potato (go big)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1/4 tsp spicy paprika
- salt and pepper
The wasabi-pea dip
- 125 g natural greek yogurt
- 4 tbsp sweet peas (frozen)
- 2 cm wasabi paste
- 1/4 lime
- Peel, then cut into long sticks the sweet potatoes
- Add to a bowl with the rest of the ingredient and mix well
- Add to baking paper covered baking sheet and cook at 200°C (400F) for 35-40 minutes until turning light brown, turn mid way or Air Fryer at 200°C (400F) for 15-20 minutes
- During that time make the wasabi-pea dip; add the peas to a small pot of salty boiling water for 1 minutes then drain and rinse under cold water
- Add the peas and the rest of the ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth