Blueberry & Banana Bread with Yogurt is an ultra moist and fluffy banana bread with a succulent crust nobody can resist.
Banana bread is a quite popular dish in North America, although in Europe, not so much. It reminds me of home each time I make some. It’s the ultimate recipe for when you have a bunch of overripe bananas, that you wouldn’t dare to eat. For this Blueberry & Banana Bread with Yogurt recipe, the older and darker the banana looks the better! Yes, even turned to dark brown, that’s where the magic of good banana bread lies.
The Yogurt Factor
Since I’ve discovered how to make naan bread, this Indian soft flatbread. I put yogurt in many of my doughs. I think yogurt helps to activate the yeast of any bread and makes an ultra tasty and moist. So why not try it out with an already “moist” banana bread to make it ultra moist and fluffy? This way you’ll get all the flavours and moisture you need without all the fat from the butter or oil. A healthier banana bread!
The Maillard reaction or the brown layer created when you sear meat for example gives it an extra kick in flavour! Well, bread also has a “Maillard reaction” for its crust, to make it ultra tasty. A great way to achieve a top-notch crust at home for any type of bread is to add cold water to a rack at the same time you add the bread in the oven. This way the water will steam in the first few minutes and help this succulent crust to develop by helping the dough first expend fully before getting this brown and crisp crust.
As for the final touch, just insert a toothpick to see if the bread is cooked through. Every baker will say that salt is as important to a sweet dish as the actual sugar. It might seem like an insignificant step but believe me, it’s a BIG one!
Other Easy Desserts
So let’s give those sad-looking bananas a second life!
Blueberry & Banana Bread with Yogurt
- 1 Bread Mould of 16cm x 9cm (6″ x 3.5″)
- 3 bananas (ultra-ripe)
- 200 g flour
- 150 g brown sugar (or white sugar)
- 100 g natural yogurt
- 90 g rolled oat (or quick oat)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp blueberries (fresh, frozen or dried)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- In a big bowl, add all the dry ingredients except the salt.
- With the help of a fork, mash the bananas.
- Mix the wet ingredients, salt and the mashed banana in a big bowl.
- Add the wet mixture in a well in the center of the dry mix and whisk until homogenous.
- Add the mixture to a greased rectangle mould and over a metal tray with a bottom of cold water. (the cooler the better)
- Cook in the oven at 180°C (350F) for about 45-50 minutes (check with a toothpick).
- When done, let the bread rest for 10 minutes in its mold, take out, and rest another 5 minutes before jumping in.