An authentic Sangria Española without sugar, with diced apple, peach and orange, plus a little fizz in the end to make it extra festive!
The word Sangria comes from the word “sangre” which means blood, therefore a traditional sangria should be the color of blood. Nowadays there are tons of different variation of sangrias out there, some made with white wine others sparkling wines and all kind of fruits. However the original version is and will always be the ultimate summer drink star!
Sangria’s origin is not clear, some say it was a way to upgrade the lowest grad wines from southern Spain by adding fruits (sugars) it would help balance the sharpness. Others say it was an invention of British sailors, bringing along with them some Spanish wine to the Caribbeans and mixing it up with rum and fruits. Truth be told, no one knows for sure. One thing is certain, it’s a fantastic drink to sip on in the summertime!
The golden rules
Here are a few rules to follow if you want to concoct a traditional Sangria:
- Cut the fruits small enough to be able to get the pieces to slide easily in your mouth when drinking,
- Cover really well the sangria (airtight) with the plastic wrap, not to let the alcohol evaporate,
- Make sure to macerate the sangria long enough (minimum of 3 hours in the fridge),
- Make sure to stir the Sangria before serving,
- Don’t forget the fizz in the end, it could be a gaz limonade, soda, or simply sparkling water
Simple steps that goes a long way….
So let’s make this summer drink!
Sangria Española (sugar-free)
Makes 6-8 portions | Difficulty: easy | Preparation: min. 3 hours (overnight maceration needed)
- 750ml (1 bottle) of red wine (Rioja)
- 100ml of Spanish Brandy
- 250ml (1 cup) orange juice
- 1 apple cut into small dices
- 1 peach cut into small dices
- 1 orange sliced
- cinnamon stick *optional
- sparkling water / soda or fizzy lemonade to taste
- Start by cutting the apple and peach, add to a pitcher
- Add the wine, orange juice and brandy to the pitcher
- Add a few slices of orange and a cinnamon stick
- Mix up and cover (airtight) with plastic wrap
- Let overnight in the fridge (minimum 3 hours)
- Stir and serve 3/4 of the glass
- Add the fizz; sparkling water / soda or fizzy lemonade and ice cubes to taste