This creamy avocado coleslaw recipe is your new side dish for BBQ season! A Mashup between classical coleslaw and guacamole, with fresh cilantro and lime.
Super rapid to make in the food processor and ultra healthy, this side dish is perfect for anything grilled on the BBQ this summer! The recipe is basically a standard coleslaw with a little extra fresh cilantro/coriander, lime and creamy avocado. The avocado doesn’t turn brown after marinating because of the acidity in the salad.
To mayo or not to mayo a coleslaw?
Well everyone likes a creamy mayo coleslaw… but your heart not so much. This Coleslaw mix got none of the saturated fat from the mayo and only the ‘good type of fat’ from the avocados, which is recommended to lower your LDL or bad cholesterol. This avocado dressing is an healthier version of the classic mayo coleslaw. Forget about this old outdated version of coleslaw and make this version your new sidekick for this year BBQ season.
Makes: 4-6 portions
- 1 small white cabbage or half a big one
- 3 carrots
- small spring white onion
- peeled apple
- 100ml apple cider vinegar
- 80ml olive oil
- 2 limes
- 1 big ripe avocado
- a hand of fresh cilantro/coriander finely chopped
- 3 tbsp of sugar/honey or maple syrup
- salt and pepper
- In a food processor grate all the ingredients above (not the dressing ones)
- Blend the dressing ingredients together
- Mix well in a large bowl
- Cover and let marinate for minimum 2 hours before serving