A sweet yet salty flavour with a smooth nonetheless crunchy bite, try these surprising Gluten free Pumpkin Croquettes with feta this fall.
Croquettes or croquetas comes from the French word: ‘croquer‘. Which means ‘to bite vigorously into’. The whole word have different recipes, often with potatoes, with meat and brown sauce or made with a thick béchamel and some other ingredients… There’s a whole world of croquettes and today, a new one is born; The pumpkin croquettes with feta!
Air fryer to the rescue!
These beauties could be fried, but for our health’s sake, I didn’t use the frying pan… I’ve used my air-fryer instead! If you don’t have one, no problem, simply pop them in the oven and the coating will cook beautifully in there too.
A tapas like no other for Halloween!
These Gluten free Pumpkin and Feta Croquettes are mainly made the Spanish way, no potatoes. It’s interior is solely roasted pumpkin purée, garlic and feta cheese bounded by chickpea flour, the coating is pumpkin seeds instead of the usual breadcrumbs. Of course, breadcrumbs would do too for this recipe, but for the sake of making these round bites gluten free, I’ve used the seeds.
But not quite Spanish…
Unlike the Spanish way this recipe doesn’t contain any thick béchamel, so you’ll have a really smooth interior. The best would be to let the pumpkin purée rest in the fridge for an hour or so to cool it and harden it a bit. Making the balls will be easier this way. Otherwise, you can make them with delicate hands or adjust the chickpea flour.
Talking about chickpea flour
Chickpea flour is one of the few flours dense enough to use for gluten free recipes, it’s the perfect flour to bound things together. Often used to bound the veggie patties, crepes or fritters. It’s got way more health benefits then plain old white flour. If you want to learn more check this out!
To serve with…
This is a tapa dish or an appetiser, it would also suit perfectly a lovely salad! Don’t forget the balsamic vinegar glaze we all love so much, to give it this lovely contrast of sweet and sour!
Halloween will taste so much better this year with these Pumpkin-feta croquettes. Enjoy!
- 1 k pumpkin (cut into 3cm cubes)
- 100 g feta cheese
- 100 g pumpkin seeds (precooked or dry)
- 3 tbsp chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- salt and pepper (go easy on the salt and strongly on the pepper)
- Cut the pumpkin into big cubes, add to a bowl and mix with full garlic clove, olive oil, salt and pepper
- Cook in the oven at 200°C (400F°) for about 30 minutes or until light brown
- one cooked, add to blender and mix with the chickpea flour
- Let rest until cold, about 15 minutes *could leave in the fridge for next day to make extra thick
- Blend the precooked or dried pumpkin seeds
- Add feta crumbled into the pumpkin mix (not blended, you want the a few chunks) *If too liquid to manipulate add a bit of chickpea flour
- Make small balls, and cover with pumpkin seeds coating
- Cook another 15 minute in the over or (10min) in the air fryer at 200°C (400F°).
- Can be kept in the freezer (after coating), simply unfroze them for 40 min before cooking.
- Add a lovely balsamic glaze to it for extra kick!