Mexican Shrimp Bowl is a fun and easy bowl filled with Tequila sauté shrimp, avocado, cilantro leaves, pico de gallo, mango, cilantro and quinoa for a delightful Mexican dinner.
This Mexican Shrimp Bowl is filled with fresh and colourful ingredients. The protagonist of the bowl here is the shrimp, they are cooked in a tad of tequila, garlic, habanero pepper and a squeeze of lime in the end. I saw the recipe for Tequila Lime Shrimp around the web and wanted to try it out. Although I add to come up with a slightly different version, so I’ve done a Mexican Bowl with it. Nothing looks more appealing to me than a simple bowl of fresh and colourful veggies, fruits, protein and grains. This dish could easily be made ahead of time and layers in a jar for lunch at work.
To Flame or Not to Flame
For sauté the shrimps, I didn’t flame them in tequila. I wanted the shrimp to simply cook in this super tasty broth to get all that residual sweetness from the agave the calm way… to kick up the shrimp a notch. I’ve used a reposado type of Tequila which is darker and sweeter, although any tequila would do. To flame or not to flame is up to you and the tequila you use. Remember that in order to flame the shrimp you’ll need a Tequila with an alcohol content of 40% and over.
As for the other ingredients in the bowl, I’ve used a healthy filler from South America; white quinoa. I believe quinoa is the perfect crunchy and healthy sidekick to the shrimp, plus it fits the “Latino” flair of the dish. Quinoa is a South American grain which is high in proteins, iron and vitamins, it serves as the energy provider here. The Pico de Gallo gives the bowl a fresh and lightly spiced element, the mango the sweetness and tropical flair, the avocado the smooth and creamy side and the cilantro leaves the crunch and some extra freshness. For a bowl filled with colours, flavours and textures!
Other Fun Bowls Ideas
Mexican Shrimp Bowl
The Tequila shrimps
- 200 g shrimps
- 50 ml Tequila
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp habanero pepper (finely chopped)
- salt and pepper
Pico de Gallo
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp Habanero pepper (finely chopped)
- 1/2 onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 mango (diced)
- 100 g quinoa
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 avocado (diced)
- Start by unfreezing the shrimp (if frozen)under cold running water and season them with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the pico de gallo, mix it up and let it marinate.
- Cook the quinoa following the instructions.
- Add some cooking oil to a wok or sauté pan, and saute the shrimp at medium-high heat for a minute.
- Add the garlic, hot pepper and tequila and cook until the tequila is evaporated.
- Stop the fire, and add the squeeze of lime.
- Assemble the bowls with all the ingredients.