This is a spring pasta salad with lovely green asparagus, cherry tomatoes, small fresh mozzarella balls, basil and olive oil served with penne. Asparagus Pasta Salad is a simple and fresh vegetarian dish!
Everyone loves a good Caprese salad (tomatoes, fresh basil, mozzarella with olive oil), so why not change it a bit and make it a pasta salad? Also, since it is spring, why not add a few green asparagus to celebrate that? This Asparagus Pasta Salad is such a simple idea and takes no time to make. Great to bring for lunch, at a potluck or picnic, this pasta salad will highlight the day!
For Any Occasion
It’s a “feeling lazy today” kind of meal… Just need to cook the pasta of your choice (healthier versions too like quinoa or kamut pasta) a bunch of juicy cherry tomatoes and fresh mozzarella balls, or the big balls of mozzarella do too, cut into small cubes. Although simple, it’s so good and fresh. You’ll see you might end up doing it every other week this summer.
This dish has delicate flavours, which means… we can taste that exquisite extra-virgin olive oil we always keep for big occasions. By the way, olive oil doesn’t last indefinitely; in just one year, it loses a lot of its flavour… so good thing we have those dishes to highlight that freshly bought extra-virgin olive oil before it’s too late. So here is that easy and tasty Caprese pasta salad with extra asparagus recipe.
Like most pasta salads, this dish gains being in the fridge. The merge of flavours is at its best a few hours after making the salad. You can keep it for up to 4 days in the fridge without a problem.
Other Pasta Salads
Asparagus Pasta Salad
- 500 g penne (or pasta of your choice)
- 150 g small fresh mozzarella balls (or big cut into small dices)
- 250 g green asparagus
- 350 g cherry tomatoes
- 2 hands basil leaves
- 60 ml olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Add a big pot of salty water to boil.
- Cut your asparagus into three parts once the bottom part is gone.
- Add the asparagus to the boiling water for 2 minutes (keep them crunchy), then drain and rinse into cold water (keep the colour vibrant and the texture firmer).
- Add the pasta to the boiling water, and cook them following the box instructions.
- Cut the tomatoes, basil and mozzarella balls.
- Drain the pasta, add to a big bowl with the rest of the ingredients, and the extra-virgin olive oil.
- Add salt and mix before serving.