Avocado Zucchini Pasta offers a fantastic gluten-free option to traditional pasta dishes. Zoodles, essentially zucchini strands created by grating them lengthwise, are paired with a delectable avocado pesto dressing and enhanced with sun-dried tomatoes—a delightful combination of flavours and textures.
Avocado Zucchini Pasta is the new pasta (well…actually, non-pasta) in town. I see them everywhere; for guys who didn’t catch the “zoodle” vibe, it’s zucchini noodles. No gluten or wheat is in them, making them an excellent meal for fitting in our bikinis this summer or a low-carb diet. This was my first attempt to do those famous”zoodles,” no need to buy those big spiralizer machines to make them; I simply use a cheese grater, and it does the trick. It’s an easy, fast, healthy recipe but also creamy and tasty; the avocado pesto makes it stand out.
Zoodlelizer or Not?
Most zoodles recipes out there use a spiralizer machine, which is expensive and quite bulky; I’ve just used a mandoline with large cheese grater holes. Some mandoline already have those teeth to make perfect juliennes. It looks thicker and more “noodles-like” (larger than spaghetti) with the machine.
The Avocado Pesto
As for the pesto, it’s a traditional Genovese pesto with plenty of fresh basil, pine nuts, parmesan and olive oil. Then, add some extra avocado to the mix to make the dish more fulfilling. It will bring the whole dish to some other level. Add a squeeze of lime to the pesto to prevent the avocado from oxidizing and turning brown. As for the finishing touch, a topping of dried tomatoes and parmesan.
This dish is meant as a meal dish but could easily be a side dish or appetizer. I would totally serve this next to a lovely grilled fish or chicken. A super versatile dish, you can bring it to a potluck or picnic too.
Other Zucchini Dishes
Avocado Zucchini Pasta
- 3 zucchini
- 1 avocado
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 30 g parmesan (or vegan parmesan)
- 20 g pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra-virgin
- 1 tbsp lime juice (or lemon)
- 10 sun dried tomatoes (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Cut both ends of the zucchinis and grate them completely on its length side.
- In the blender add the pine nuts, garlic, basil, parmesan to taste and olive oil.
- Add the avocado, salt, pepper and lime and blend until it becomes a paste, add a bit of water if too thick.
- Add the zoodles in a pan with a touch of olive oil and salt, just to warm them up, cook at medium-high heat for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the pesto to the zoodles and mix well.
- Top with a few thin slices of dry tomatoes and shaved parmesan.