Avocado Toast with Poached Egg contains a sparkle of spicy paprika and crumbled feta on a slice of toasted bread, tomato slice and smooth avocado for a fun upgrade to your brunch/breakfast table.
If you are searching for a fresh, light bite on your next brunch or lunch, this Avocado Toast with Poached Egg is the way to go. It’s a made under 15 minutes dish, plus it’s effortless to nail a poached egg. All you need is boiling water and a drop of vinegar, and voila! Nothing more satisfying than cutting into this leaky yolk.
The spicy paprika adds an extra dimension to the eggs; like deviled eggs, it jazzes up! Also, freshly cracked black pepper is the best friend of any egg. An egg without black pepper is like a plant without water; it won’t bloom.
European vs American Eggs
In North America, eggs are cleaned and then sanitized to prevent salmonella on its shell. Then dried up and refrigerated. In Europe, they sell eggs and pick them up at room temperature. Salmonella can lie on the egg’s surface or be already inside the egg, making the sanitizing not 100% effective. Also, studies showed that sanitizing the eggs makes the shell weaker and susceptible to bacteria. For this matter, eggs get refrigerated right away in North America. However, salmonella keeps ravaging stomachs worldwide, even with all those precautions. So who knows better?
How to Make Poached Egg?
All you’ll need for this is vinegar, a deep enough (5cm) water pot, and some fresh eggs! I crack the eggs up in a vinegar solution mixed with water; then, after a few minutes, it will turn the other layer of the egg white. Then gently pick it up with a ladle, slide it into the softly simmering pot of water, and cook it for 3 minutes. Pick up with a slotted spoon and let rest a minute or two before serving. Don’t forget the salt and pepper! (Here is a nice and unusual way of cooking them to perfection)
Other Breakfast Ideas
Let’s make our tasty breakfast!
Avocado Toast with Poached Egg
- 4 toasts
- 4 eggs
- 1 avocado (cut into thin slices)
- 1 tomato (cut into slices)
- 80 g feta cheese
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper
- 250 ml white vinegar (any type)
- 250 ml water
- Crack the eggs in the vinegar and water solution, and let rest until white, about 10 minutes.
- Pick up with a ladle and add each egg to a softly simmering water pot.
- Let cook for 2-3 minutes and take out with a slotted spoon; touch to check doneness.
- Add to a paper towel, and let rest a minute or two before adding the salt and pepper.
- Add a tomato slice, a few slices of avocado, and the poached egg on toasted bread with a sprinkle of feta and paprika.