The Light Hawaiian Teriyaki Chicken Skewers blend two cultures: a Japanese influence featuring teriyaki-marinated chicken and a Hawaiian twist with succulent grilled pineapple pieces. This fusion creates a contrasting and dynamic combo!
Light Hawaiian Teriyaki Chicken Skewers is a variation of what my mom used to make when I was a kid. Back in the day, coming from this small town up north in Canada, the supermarket had no choice of “Asian” ingredients except for the soy sauce. My mom would marinate the chicken simply in soy sauce for an hour, and the pineapple touch would bring a contrasting sweet touch.
Low-Sugar Teriyaki Sauce
So, in a way, I’ve separated the sugar from the usual Teriyaki sauce and added the pieces of pineapple to balance the savoury of the soy sauce because Asian food is all about the perfect balance! This version is lighter on sugar but high in taste and incredibly savoury, which complements our tropical fruit!
The Many Ways to Grill
These were done in the oven, but they could easily have been done on the BBQ. Here is an interesting article about how to grill your meat without having to use an actual grill at home. From Microwave to Crockpot grilling, there is always a way to grill your meat on a cold winter night!
I’ve used chicken, but turkey could be great, too! As for the veggies, a bit of red bell pepper would make it even more colourful and complement the dish. If you are vegetarian, or some of you are, use halloumi cheese or tofu cubes instead of the meat.
Other Recipes for the Grill
So let’s make those Hawaiian-Teriyaki skewers!
Light Hawaiian Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
- 2 Chicken Breasts (Cut into cubes.)
- 1/4 Pineapple (Cut into cubes.)
- 1 onion (Cut into large pieces.)
Light Teriyaki Sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp corn starch
- ½ tbsp ginger (grated)
- salt and pepper
- Cut the chicken into large cubes.
- Mix all the ingredients from the marinade in a small bowl.
- Add the marinade to the chicken pieces and marinade in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water during that time.
- Add the pieces of marinated chicken, pineapple and onions to the skewers and lay them on a grill; keep the leftover marinade to brush the skewers mid-way.
- Cook at 180°C (350F°) for 25 minutes; brush them with the leftover marinade once or twice while it cooks.