These Retro Egg Salad Appetizers are fantastic on the table for Christmas or any celebration and are always a ‘hit’ for the little ones! An egg salad spread made with relish, scallions, mayonnaise, and the festive sweet pickle and pepper in the center.
Those Egg Salad Appetizers are my granma’s recipe and were usually tradition to make for Christmas Eve and highly appreciated by the little ones. A fluffy, tasty and fun bite to make the kids wait patiently before unwrapping their gifts. Plus, the leftovers make a fantastic breakfast for the next day!
A Family Tradition
These sliders are close to my heart; I used to make them every year with my grandma. Now, I’m doing it for my kids and, someday, hopefully, grandkids. Since I can remember, those sandwiches have been part of the Christmas feast (buffet style) at home. My mom would have a table filled with finger food, and these were the first ones I would jump upon.
Let’s face it; egg sandwiches are always a big favourite for kids. Plus, these are extra fun to make with the kiddos. The rolling part is the fun part! Back in the day, this type of long bread was pink, but nowadays, it’s back to white.
You’ll need a clean moist towel for rolling the sandwiches; install it underneath the bread, and once filled with the egg spread and centrepieces, use the side of the towel to roll the sandwich gently. Once the roll is done, transfer it immediately to a plastic wrap and roll it in gently but tightly. Twist the plastic ends until tight and leave them in the fridge for a few hours or until it’s time to rumble.
To finish it up, you’ll need a sharp thin knife to cut the sandwiches without making a mess. Unwrap the sandwiches, cut the ends first and then cut the sliders a thumb thick each sandwich.
Other ideas for a holiday slider fest that would go well with these sandwiches:
- EASY SHRIMP CEVICHE
- PESTO AND PARMESAN PHYLLO STICKS
- ENOKI BEEF ROLLS APPETIZERS
- DUCK PROSCIUTTO APPETIZER
So let’s roll up those sandwiches!
Egg Salad Pinwheels
- 15 eggs
- 6 slices extra long bread
- 20 g butter (room temperature to spread)
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
The green mix
- 1 onion (or four scallions)
- 1 tbsp relish (or 3 sweet & sour pickles)
- 1 tbsp parsley (*optional)
- 1/2 can sweet & sour pickles
- 1 red bell pepper
- sweet paprika (*optional)
- Start by cooking the eggs in simmering water for 10-12 minutes.
- Blend the onion, relish (or sweet pickles), parsley together until finely chopped.
- Discard all the egg shells.
- Add the eggs, blended green mix and mayonnaise in a big bowl or deep plate. Mash until creamy (I’ve started with a potato peeler and finished with a fork).
- Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a slice of long bread on a damp kitchen towel.
- Spread the room temperature butter on the bread.
- Add a layer of the egg spread over the sandwich bread (2mm thick).
- At one end, add one slice of bell pepper and two sweet & sour pickles on the border of the bread.
- With the help of the damp towel roll up firmly but gently the sandwich into a big cylinder.
- Wrap each roll firmly in plastic wrap and reserve it in the fridge for at least one hour.
- When ready to serve, take off the plastic wrap, sprinkle a bit of sweet paprika on the top of the rolls, cut the ends first and cut each roll into five pieces.