These delectable baked Hot Strawberry & Habanero Wings are coated in a homemade habanero-strawberry sauce, accompanied by a refreshing blue cheese dip and a medley of crisp, colourful vegetables.
Who’s starving for some hot chicken wings? Those Hot Strawberry & Habanero Wings are medium-hot with a fruity touch; the strawberry and honey glazed help calm down all that habanero heat. Plus, on the side, another tongue-soothing element is the creamy blue cheese dip. Those chicken wings are baked, making them healthier. Great on any occasion, whether it’s the “game” of the century or simply a gathering with friends. Don’t forget to bring along the extra habanero sauce for the folks that digs heat!
Let’s Talk Habanero
The homemade habanero sauce is an indispensable newcomer for the fridge; this version contains a few strawberries to make it extra fruity and bring out the fruity side of the habanero also. I saw many recipes with mango or papaya, but why not strawberries? This ruby red fruit fits perfectly with the blue cheese dip, unlike tropical fruits.
I think Habanero peppers are the best hot peppers out there! They are obviously really hot but also sweet, which I love. They are rated 100 000 out of 350 000 on the Scoville scale, which is hot but not deadly but don’t underestimate them… With this attribute, it is also used as a natural insecticide for organic gardens.
You can keep the sauce in the fridge for up to 3 months, and it’s useful in many dishes; for example, if you want a grounded meat with a bit of kick to it, a spicier tomato sauce, a wok dish, ribs, etc.
The Blue Cheese Dip
The blue cheese dip is a creamy touch to soothe your tongue when the habanero is burning too much… that sauce is a great remedy to all that heat. Also, handmade and terribly easy to make. I’ve used my favourite blue cheese, Roquefort and a touch of cream, and that’s pretty much all it contains. If you are brave enough for the habanero heat, go ahead and use some extra sauce on the wings and use the blue cheese sauce to dip in the veggies.
Other Recipe That Could Use This Sauce
Let’s make those hot wings!
Hot Habanero Chicken Wings
- 20 chicken wings
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp Habanero-Strawberry Sauce (See below)
Habanero & strawberry hot sauce (make about 200ml)
- 250 ml cider vinegar
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 4 strawberries
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 whole fresh habanero (or 1 tbsp of powder habanero)
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- salt and pepper
Blue Cheese Dip
- 250 ml Creme Fraiche
- 100 g Roquefort cheese (or your favourite blue)
- 2 tbsp lemon
- Cook the carrots, onion, habanero and garlic with a bit of olive oil in a skillet at medium-high heat.
- When carrots are tender and golden, reserve.
- Add the vegetables to a blender or food processor with the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth and homogenous.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pass through a meshed sieve, into a bottle. Reserve.
Blue Cheese Dip
- In a bowl, incorporate with a fork the cheese into the cream.
- Add the lemon, salt, pepper, chives and mix.
The Hot Wings
- Marinate the wings for 30 minutes into the habanero sauce, keep some sauce to glaze the chicken.
- Drain and add to a baking sheet on a tray in the oven at 200°C (400F°) for 30 minutes, or until crisp, turn and add the habanero-honey glaze mid-waw (In the Air fryer it should be 10-12 minutes at same temperature)